Being A Reflective Traveler


Growing up, Ophelia Plads was a place to look at boats and possibly grab a quick soft ice for the road to Nyhavn. This being said, I returned to this location on this trip and was struck by not only the nostalgia but by the beauty of the scene and the importance of it all. Do I love swimming? Yes. Did I go to swim? Also yes. However, this location permitted me to analyze our program's theme in a truly reflective manner and almost foreshadowed future endeavors without intention. Before I entered the water I looked around. The sight of people lounging in the sun, the smell of cigarettes, beer, and the water, the sounds of laughter and splashing, and most importantly the feeling of appreciation for where I am. As I looked out into the Harbor, in the distance was the West Indian Trading House. Though I couldn’t identify it at the time, it would soon become one of my favorite elements of the first academic week in Copenhagen. 

I hop in the water, and I feel at home in the coldness. However, instead of splashing around like a child, I took a pause and reflected on artist Barley’s comment that “The Water Remembers”. I realized that being here in this place allowed me to spiritually touch upon the history and spirits of Denmark in a way I never fully comprehended initially. It permitted me to ask the question of, how have I looked out from this dock and seen the little red building on the corner and never questioned why it was there? Essentially this trip in association with the week's events taught me what it really means to be a reflective traveler. That enjoyment and relaxation is only half of traveling; curiosity, questions, and conversations are what can turn a trip into a catalyst of change. A few days later I went and sat on the dock again, a pianist was playing out in the open water. I looked around and saw a crowd of people in awe of the performance and felt a sense of unity between the people appreciating this art, and the spirits of the past who’s stories live on in the waters of Denmark. 


Comments

Popular Posts